Sunday, August 3, 2014

Trick Roping at the NFR


I have been freelancing as a writer for a magazine a few months (doesn't pay a lot but it's better than nothing right?).  I keep a small notebook with me at all times so when an idea for a story pops in my head I want to follow up on it to see if it can work into a story.

I met Riley Webb last year at the North Texas Fair and Rodeo where he was part of an act for the main part of the rodeo where the Rodeo clown comes in and tries to trick rope and can't and from the stands this little 10 year old boy (last years age) comes into the arena and shows the clown how to trick rope with all these fancy tricks.  He also doubled as clown for the Muttin Bustin competition which landed me one heck of a photo that made the cover of a magazine.

I thought about him recently and what an extraordinary story he would make, he's been to the National Finals Rodeo twice to perform, at ages 9 and 10 and will be back this year.  He calf ropes like nobodies business and when you watch him do tricks you wonder how and the heck can he do those things.

He has been loaned a horse that took Fallon Taylor to the national finals back in 1995, his two roping horse are both in their 20s and one of them only has one eye.  He's in the top 5 of the Joe Beaver competition and looks to make the finals.

I wanted to capture a few photos fro my article and ended up with quite a few but the one posted ended up as my favorite.

I watched him roper over the weekend at a benefit rodeo and this little guy just kept on amazing me at his talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment