Monday, January 28, 2019

The Work Behind Project Photos


One of the ways to keep from getting bored in your work and most importantly to grow in your craft is to work on project photos.  I will see something or have a thought pop in my mind which then gets jotted down in my notebook and one day hopefully will turn into a project photo for me to work on to become better at what I do.

I had this idea to try to redo the “Lady and the Tramp” Disney poster to see if I could do it, first thing in working on a project photo is location?  I knew of a great place Hollow Hill Event Center over in Weatherford, they have multiple backgrounds , beautiful scenery and the nicest people you will run across.  Check - Location found-.  Next you need subjects/models, what I thought would result in a few comments ended up ending in over 500 comments when I asked for people to spam me with with their dog photos.  Holy Cow!  People have so many dogs and love them dearly.  From that post I was able to find 2 models to use.  

Next is when the real work begins.  A project photo is not just snap your fingers your done, i made 2 trips to Hobby Lobby, for props, 1 trip to Wal Mart, 1 Order on Amazon and drove a total of 5 hours and spent around $50.00 on props for this project (which isn’t bad).   The owners of both models both had clothes so that was very helpful.

This project was in the works for about 2 to 3 weeks total time, multiple messages and conversations to make sure we could get things set up.  Working around 3 different busy peoples schedules is not easy.  Time was set, Day was Set, props in place and approval by the location again and it was time to shoot.  I always look at the time of day and weather to decide where to begin and what will make things flow smoothly.  We started with the wedding portion (which was kind of a joke but turned into a project) and working with dogs is not easy, they are so happy to please their humans they want to overdo what your asking, they were so much fun and I laughed more than I can remember at this session.   From there we worked into the Lady and the Tramp which was a huge challenge but we did pull off one photo (not included).  Afterwards I knew it was time to work on the natural course of things and work on location shooting with strobe lights to try to get a few photos just for the owners.


Finishing off the project just capturing "Otis" and "DeeDee" in a portrait pose was so satisfying, I have been wanting to add Pet Photography for my resume for so long, they were amazing and perfect and I'm so happy to capture these photos for the owners.

www.JoHPhotography.com to book your Pet Photography Info@JoHPhotography.com







No comments:

Post a Comment