Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Small Business Tip # 2 "Asking the Right Questions"

In Small Business the biggest part of our very busy job is making sure to ask the right questions.  That goes for the Business owner as well as the Client.  Any question in your mind needs to be asked so that both parties are clear on what is expected from the job.  For myself as a photographer I want to make sure I take care of the clients needs.  How long will the expected job take, How many Images will be needed, What format, High Resolution or Web size, Will there be touch ups, What Time of day, how fast do you need the photos; will I need to rent equipment if I don't have the right equipment etc etc.

For the client they need to be asking similar questions, I need photos for myself or my business, how many photos are included in my package, will i get a release to print or use for advertising. I need them by such and such day

It takes both parties to be successful, jot down your questions before conversing, if you can visit thats better so you can talk about what you both need to make this a great partnership, I like to see a location at the time of day we will be shooting to see if the light is going to make my job harder or easier.  I look at backgrounds and will I spend time in photoshop longer than expected.

As a photographer I try to ask as many questions as possible; if it doesn't turn out like I had in my mind then I didn't ask the right questions.  I will always fulfill what the client needs based on the questions I asked.  That could lead to a loss of money for me which is a lesson learned to ask better questions the next time around.  The last thing I want to do is NOT deliver what the client needs and also losing money for time I didn't budget into the job

A paper trail I feel is very important as well, get things down in writing, the last thing you want to do is lose a friendship or client over something you think you said or something you think they said.  Having it down in writing will salvage a business relationship and more important a friendship.  I have clients sign a few forms before their session that protects me in the future.

When I consult for a wedding, we will do a walk thru, make sure you tell me every shot you feel is the most important you don't want me to miss, i'll keep that list handy in my pocket on that special day so I make sure and capture what your needing for lasting memories.  There's nothing wrong with having that handy dandy notebook ready to use while your working on your job.  

Be prepared, Take Notes, Deliver what the Client wants based on your notes and conversations.

www.JoHPhotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment